Monday, April 13, 2009

Promises Promises....

I found the song "Promises Promises" by Naked Eyes going through my head as I read through a couple articles concerning President Obama. The first article was over the highly criticized eavesdropping programs of George W. Bush's terms. Apparently Obama was just kidding, its not such a bad idea to listen in on everyone's phone conversations. Calm down everyone. I have the explanation. Its a double standard; you see when Bush did it, it was "undermining the constitution", but when performed under Obama, it is "lawful and necessary." I know, what a relief. The second article is referring to the promise that "no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes." The tax on tobacco has just been raised 62 cents to make it $1.01. Sure "Government and private research has found that smoking rates are higher among people of low income," but this is important. Yeah sorry they were just trying to get elected....No wait! My mistake, Obama wouldn't lie to the American people like that, its all for our own good. By raising the tax, he can now afford to give health insurance to all children because it turns out he can't raise taxes on the wealthy enough to do that. Also, this will just help everyone stop smoking. Personally, I dont care if the government listens in on my conversations; I have nothing to hide. I also dont smoke so the new tax doesnt affect me, but I do think that it is wrong for the government to say one thing and do the exact opposite. Well, President Obama did promise change right?


For the article about eavesdropping http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/04/13/obama-administration-upholds-terrorist-surveillance-secrecy-rules/

For the one about taxes http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090401/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_tax_promise

And just for kicks, the song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJP2PH8WKaI

No comments:

Post a Comment