Monday, February 23, 2009

I can't believe its not butter!

About two years ago, New York City banned partially hydrogenated oil. Now some areas are trying to make it illegal for restaurants to cook using trans fats. What will it be next? A ban on fats all together? Then where will it go? Trans fats are a leading cause in heart disease, so banning it will help reduce obesity and the risk of getting the disease. I personally think this whole plan is ridiculous. Its not the governments job to tell the people what they can and cant eat. If I want my food fat free or fat full I should be able to get it. I agree with Joseph Coppola Jr. when he says that “Government has to stay out of our lives. It’s about choice. If people are stupid enough to fill their diet with trans fats, they’re just stupid.” I do think that obesity is a problem in the United States, but I dont think that it is fair for the government to control every aspect of our lives in order to fix that problem. This is an issue that is the responsibility of each individual to control, not the government. If fats are eaten in moderation, they arent detrimental to your health. I dont think that it is necessary to ban them from everyones lives and I dont think that the government should have the power to do that anyway.

Read it for yourself at http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/22/nyregion/long-island/22Rfats.html

No comments:

Post a Comment